Friday, June 09, 2006

Song of the Week: The Ace of Spades

Listening to Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" again showed me why this is one of their most popular songs. You have to admire Lemmy's fucking voice! I love that guttural cry it gives such a hard edge to any song , seems as if Lemmy is grinding stones with his throat when singing! Fucking A! The song opens with this fast bass line which is very typical of trailers and those fast car games and the opening riff adds this feeling that life is in the fast lane and indeed it is in gambling and so its an awesome way to begin this song. My favourite part is when Lemmy says,

You know I'm born to lose,
and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live for ever,


And don't forget the joker!

I love the way the song slows down and then stops at certain points, and the hiatus that comes before he talks about the joker, makes it look as if he really forgot to talk about it. Genius. Absolute genius!

Up the irons ! \m/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home